Site of Review.
Trying to meet all your book preview and review needs.
to e-mail us:
support the site
buy us books !
the complete review
Most recent additions to the complete review:
- A Comic Play from Seventeenth-Century China by Li Yu, A Couple of Soles, just out from Columbia University Press
- Inès Cagnati's 1973 novel, Free Day, just out in English from New York Review Books
- Alberto Manguel on Dracula, Alice, Superman, and Other Literary Friends, in Fabulous Monsters
- Brice Matthieussent's novel, Revenge of the Translator
- Endo Shusaku's 1974 novel, When I Whistle
- A Jack Reacher novel from 2010, Lee Child's 61 Hours
- The anthology All That is Evident is Suspect: Readings from the Oulipo 1963-2018, edited by Ian Monk and Daniel Levin Becker
- Two novels by Yuz Aleshkovsky, Nikolai Nikolaevich and Camouflage, now in English in the Columbia University Press Russian Library-series
- Pierre Louÿs' 1898 novel The Woman and the Puppet, the basis of the Josef von Sternberg film starring Marlene Dietrich, The Devil is a Woman, and Luis Buñuel's That Obscure Object of Desire
- Ismat Chughtai's 1944 Urdu classic, The Crooked Line
- The first in Sara Gran's series, Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead
- Complete in English for the first time, the Marquis de Sade's Aline and Valcour or, the Philosophical Novel, just out from Contra Mundum Press
- The most recently translated novel by this year's Nobel laureate, Peter Handke, The Great Fall
- More from Ogawa Yoko, her 人質の朗読会
- The Inside Story of the Nobel Peace Prize by Geir Lundestad, 'The World's Most Prestigious Prize'
- Hanmura Ryō's 1975 Naoki Prize-winning Shinjuku-scene novel, The Sheltering Rain
- Bogdan Rusev's Come to Me, coming from Dalkey Archive Press
- A Golden Age Story by Adam Roberts, Jack Glass
- Uncollected Essays, Reviews, Interviews, and Letters to the Editor by Vladimir Nabokov, Think, Write, Speak
- Dany Laferrière's 1985 debut, How to Make Love to a Negro Without Getting Tired
- Jorge Comensal's novel, The Mutations
- Narayan Wagle's modern Nepali classic, Palpasa Café
- Virginie Despentes' Vernon Subutex 1 finally makes it to the US as well
- Jung Young Moon's Texas-novel, Seven Samurai Swept Away in a River, just about out from Deep Vellum
- Mishima Yukio's pulpy 1968 novel, Life for Sale -- already out in the UK; coming to the US ... next April
- A selection of non-fiction pieces by Emmanuel Carrère, 97,196 Words
- Nikolaj Frobenius' novel, De Sade's Valet
- Oyamada Hiroko's dark little novel, The Factory
- Piero Chiara's 1976 novel, The Bishop's Bedroom, now in English, from New Vessel Press
- Geoff Nicholson's 1987 debut, Street Sleeper
- Michael Schmidt on Gilgamesh: The Life of a Poem
- Kawakami Hiromi's little Parade: A Folktale, just about out in English, from Soft Skull Press
If you want to support the site,
consider becoming a patron:
You can also:
- See our most recent review-overviews -- all the links and review-summaries, but of titles not yet reviewed by us
- Check out our more comprehensive list of recent publications under review
- Check out our smaller list of notable recent publications
- And don't forget to check our Review Index to see all the books under review.
Read ! Enjoy !
Return to top of page.
© 2019 the complete review
Main | the New | the Best | the Rest | Review Index | Links